Thursday, May 05, 2005

Where I am NOW 2

house_low_altitude

This another aerial-photo that shows the same place, where I am now. From a different angle and a different altitude.

I have inherited this house from my forefathers (my grand-grandfather was the last one to make a living in this spot). Although only one and half hours driving from Lisbon (OK 2 hours if you drive that slow), I do not come here usually more that one or twice a year, mainly because (a) I do not have broadband here (b) There are no acceptable restaurants around for me to eat. However I keep the all place stabilized, preventing any serious decay.

The house itself shows is a sum of a few changes. For example it has three different water systems. The first is based in fuel pumps (quit interesting engines, running on gasoline/petrol in the first seconds, then in kerosene, less expensive - but not very environment friendly) the second system is a clever one based in an electric motor, working far from the house and automatically set in motion when a low level is detected in the elevated water tank. The third systems it simply the public water infrastructure. All in all a plumber nightmare I assume.

All systems are somehow yet functional, as if the people do embrace the newest technology, but do not trust it very much.

Also we have 2 different electricity networks inside house. The first was powered by a generator that worked flawless for years and years. Only in the 70’s we got the possibility of connect to the national power grid, but had to lay new wires to support increased current intensity.

That all folks, I am going to try to get the last news about the UK general elections. See you "tomorrow"