Friday, June 10, 2005

Things (my slide rule)

slide rule (tri-log)

This is a picture of my slide rule. It is a "Aristo trig-log", because it has 3 logarithm scales (plus 3 INVERSE logarithms scales). In my last year at high scool and in my first two years at the University I became very proficient in using slide rules for all sort of computations and the slide rule shown was quite precise.

My favorite slide rule, however, was a "multi-log" (5+5 log scales). With half the size of this tri-log it was not so precise, but it was more powerful and, besides, it fitted well in my coat pocket.

Around 1975 electronic calculators became very cheap and, around 1977, I made some money tutoring high school students and I bought a programmable Texas Calculator. I never used any of my slide rules again.

I lost some familiarity with numbers, and some inside, but I gain a lot of significant figures.

No comments: