Friday, April 29, 2005

( malware ) Beware of ViewPoint. It's a nasty piece of software

Really nasty piece of malware, I found today. ViewPoint.

It announces itself as a sort of upgrade for the "Microsoft Media Player". It almost fools me. Another day, with less sleep, and I probably would have installed it.

Now I DO have to discover how did it sneaked into one of my machines, in the first place. I am sure I download only programs I thing were reputable (perhaps a lapse of reason?) , I have 2 different anti-virus and 2 different firewall upstream my machines, and I do not go to suspect sites (except those how thrive in spelling mistakes of the addresses of popular sites) so, what went wrong?

Using google I found same information. It seems that the general opinion is that it comes with AIM (America on-line Instant Messenger). However I am quite sure I never install that software.

Some links:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/april-2003/2.php

http://scottmace.typepad.com/service_provider_blog/2004/09/viewpoint_aols_.html

No comments: